(Cross-Posted at Israel Thrives)
Richard Millet is a British pro-Israel blogger whose work can be found here:
This morning I received, along with a number of other people, the following email from Adam Levick of CiF Watch.
Intrepid blogger, Richard Millett, was assaulted and subjected to racial abuse earlier this evening at an anti-Israel meeting at the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London. Though Richard is a bit shaken up he is largely ok.
The pretext for assaulting Richard was because he refused to stop filming even though this was a public meeting and there were according to him others present who were filming.
This all took place in front of a room full of people - who taunted Richard - as well as speakers, Karma Nabulsi and Abdel-Bari Atwan, who are both well known on the anti-Israel circuit. Nabulsi teaches at Oxford University and is a former PLO representative while Atwan is a Palestinian journalist. Atwan of course is known for making the following statement: "If the Iranian missiles strike Israel – by Allah, I will go to Trafalgar Square, and dance with delight if the Iranian missiles strike Israel."
Fortunately, Richard has footage of what happened at the meeting which you can view at the links below. I urge you take 5 minutes to review the footage.
This is not the first time an incident like this has taken place at SOAS. Last year a pro-Israel supporter was physically attacked by a rabid (literally) anti-Israel hater. The attacker was later acquitted.
This incident cannot pass without criminal charges being brought against Richard's attackers and disciplinary action being brought against the organizers and the speakers. Richard has already filed a complaint with the police.
We need to let right-thinking people know that the atmosphere of violence and hate against Jews on British campuses is getting out of control and those that stand silent or incite as the speakers did need to know that they are accomplices to this hatred and must be disciplined accordingly.
Here are some suggestions of things that you can do:
1. If you are in the UK, please write to your MP and ask what he/she is going to do about this.
2. Complain to the Director of SOAS, Professor Paul Webley - email - firstname.lastname@example.org tel - 0207 898 4014.
3. Complain to Vice Chancellor of Oxford University, Andrew Hamilton - email - email@example.com tel - 01865 270252
4. Complain to Abdel Bari-Atwan on twitter - @abdelbariatwan (Nabulsi does not have an active twitter account)
5. If you know a journalist or blogger, please encourage them to write about what happened. This story should be making national news.
Please don't stand silent and please be firm but respectful and polite in any communication with anyone you complain to.
Feel free to forward this email.
Adam Levick, Managing Editor