Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Barack Obama's Defamation of the Jews



Mike L.

{Cross-Posted at Israel Thrives and Geoffff's Joint, Bar and Grill.}

Obama's inclination to defame the Jews of the Middle East seems almost instinctive and done without any reflection or even conscious malice.

Obama says 'failed' to push Mideast peace

In interview with ABC7, US president says he feels he hasn’t been able to achieve desired progress in Israeli-Palestinian peace process. 'Parties have to want it as well,' he says

The direct quote from the Y-Net article is this:

"I have not been able to move the peace process forward in the Middle East the way I wanted."

"It's something we focused on very early. But the truth of the matter is that the parties, they've got to want it as well."

Barack Obama believes that neither side wants peace.

That is precisely what he is saying in the quote above. "The parties, they've got to want it as well."

So, what does this message convey to the world? It tells the world that the reason that there is no end to the Long Arab War against the Jews is because even the Jews do not want an end to their own persecution. We apparently have not done enough in the way of serious "self-reflection" as Obama has recommended of us in the past.

The good news is that this might indicate that Obama is washing his hands of the matter. One can certainly hope, although I wouldn't count on it. When I voted for Obama I thought that he could possibly bring about peace between Arab and Jew in the Middle East. At the time I was still suffering under the Oslo Delusion and thought that if Israel made the right kind of concessions then the Palestinians would agree to an end of hostilities in a two-state solution.

I could not have been more wrong.

Be that as it may, it still must be acknowledged that the Jewish people do want peace. The Palestinians have refused offer after offer for a state for themselves, going back to the Peel Commission Report of 1937, long before they even called themselves "Palestinians." Yet this American president tells us that we don't really want peace.

And you're still going to vote for this guy, eh?

It makes me begin to wonder just what diaspora "progressive" Jews actually think about the Jewish people? I am a diaspora liberal Jew by any meaningful definition of the word "liberal," but I no longer consider myself a progressive. The progressive movement gives anti-Semitic anti-Zionists a seat at the progressive table and that means that self-respecting Jews should probably go elsewhere. That has been my choice, at any rate.

But, my point is that diaspora Jews, even liberal diaspora Jews, will probably not even recognize when they have been insulted by the president of the United States. I consider it a pretty substantial insult, actually. He does not believe that YOU honestly want peace or, at the very least, that our Israeli brothers and sisters do.

One of my persistent themes has been the necessity of acknowledging the obvious. It is obvious that Barack Obama has not much in the way of respect for, or understanding of, or affection for, the Jewish people as a whole. If he did he would not defame the Jews of the Middle East by claiming that they, and by obvious extension we, do not want peace.

My question is this:

Are you going to object or do you actually agree?

My suspicion is that most "progressive" Jews actually agree.

Am I wrong?

No comments: